Monday, April 2, 2012

NaPoWriMo - April 2nd

April is National Poetry Writing Month. In celebration of poets everywhere, and to encourage those who are just embarking on their literary journey, I will be posting poetry (not mine) each day for the month of April. Please take a look and enjoy this special art.

Leon Gower





Why I write:

I have no choice. If you look in a dictionary you will find words, each one has a story beside it.
When I wake up at 2am the stories in my mind have no word beside them.
I have to build a definition for that feeling.
Then, I place a title on top, really I'm not writing poetry, I'm building a personal dictionary of feelings not easily expressed.
Every person has key moments in their lives, times where no single word is appropriate. This is when our minds create new definitions. New poems.

Who am I?

 I grew up homeless and am self educated. I believe a person must take steps in life, wait for the next wave to wash them back. Then take another step. Never give up and never expect to be helped. I am a Palowa. Tasmanian Aboriginal Man. 

More of Leon Gower's work can be found on Authonomy.

MY LADY IN WHITE

My lady in white
your eyes radiate
with a love so bright
is it true you'll be mine
forever from this night
My lady in white.

My lady in white
you've traveled so far
from your heavenly star
to stand by my side
and say you'll be mine
from now all through time
My lady in white

My lady in white
can all this be true?
does love make me say
these words that I do?

when all else was dark now there is light
how i love you
My lady in white. 



TEACHER

Do not cry sweet child
For I have not gone far
I'm in the trees the leaves the breeze
this is my better part
the moments that you noticed me
were short and quick to fade
now you wonder through the park
and sit to cool in shade
it's my love your nursing in
and pleases me the most
that you should pass on sorrow
is my one true hope
I taught you little in my life
and learned far far more
the questions that i never asked
where the first you saw




LET IT GO
 
I lay here bleeding
alone, awake
I know not which path I'll take
if I should fade and drift away
or hold on tight to greet the day
the time is right for either one
there is little I haven't done
I've seen life and lived it well
and know there's more to do and tell
the man who hit me sped away
I'll be his dreams again and again.


1 comment: