Wednesday, April 25, 2012

NaPoWriMo April 25th

April is National Poetry Writing Month. In celebration of poets everywhere, and to encourage those who are  embarking on their literary journey, I have been posting poetry (not mine) each day for the month of April. Today, I seem to have run out of poets - so you get the special treat of my most recent masterpiece.

Shadow Dance
(copyright Jennifer Bogart)

Sometimes when I'm walking, I look back and see
My shadow is dancing: a memory of me. 
From a time long ago, her step is airy and free,
I close my eyes tight; I don't want to see. 

Pale skin, soft eyes, with a smile so bright
I follow, entranced: afraid I'll lose sight. 
Her countenance changes, she gives me a fright,
I search through the darkness, but can't find her light. 

I call to her, but cannot remember her name
She once was me: but we're not the same.
She's only a memory, a figment, not tame,
Her gift is my future, cold, dark, filled with shame. 

Carefully, stealthily, I look to the right
The woman beside me is me: but not quite. 
Her smile is sad, her soul knows my plight,
She knows in my heart we can't make this right. 

She's in the past, too elusive to hold
Can't have her back: she's frail and she's old.
I look to the future, for legends untold,
I'll find myself there as my story unfolds. 




4 comments: