Monday, June 13, 2011

Try one new drink every day for 7 days . . .

Recently I took a little time off from writing and skipped off to Jamaica with my husband for a little “couple time”. We stayed in an all-inclusive resort that boasted breathtaking scenery, beautiful beaches and scrumptious food. Couples Swept Away was the perfect get-a-way for couples needing a break from the doldrums of everyday.
Keeping in the spirit of Newvember, I decided to try one new drink every day for the seven days we were there. Admittedly, I probably tried more than seven, but these are the drinks that stood out most, or made an impression:
Day One - This one was a Frozen Rum Runner at Rick’s Café .

 
Rick's Rum Runner by Jennifer Bogart
 
Blended white rum, blackberry brandy, banana liqueur, pineapple juice, grenadine & lime juice – this had to be one of my favourite drinks. I liked it so much I had to have two.


Day Two: The Shark Bite and a Red Stripe (the Red Stripe wasn’t mine)

Shark Bite & Red Stripe by Jennifer Bogart
This drink consisted of strawberry syrup, pineapple juice, OJ, Blue Curacao and rum. It’s much prettier than it tasted. I found the flavours to be a bit bland in comparison to many of the other drinks I tried. Still, the layering of the different colours was worthy of a picture.


Day 3: Lychee Martini as big as my head


Lychee Martini by Jennifer Bogart
Made with Soho lychee liqueur, vodka and a lot of lychee juice (there was probably some pineapple juice in there too). Luckily I had some help to finish it. To be honest, I think James enjoyed it more than I did.


 Day 4 - Mango Margarita from Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.


Mango Margarita by Jennifer Bogart
Ten dollars I'll never get back . . . won't be doing that again in Jamaica! It was bitter, and not as tasty as some Margarita’s I’ve had. Sorry Jimmy Buffett.
Day 5 - a Bob Marley.


Bob Marley Drink by Jennifer Bogart
This one pretty much knocked me on my ass. It was concocted with Grenedine, Creme de Menthe, banana liqueur and "over-proof rum" (151%). I couldn't feel the sunburn after this drink.
Day 5.5 - had to sneak this one in, it's more like a dessert - chocolate martini.

Chocolate Martini by Jennifer Bogart
This one in particular was a “gift” from the couple at the table next us. They wanted to know what I was drinking, so I shared. She liked it so much, when her husband went to get her another, he brought me one too.
Day 6 - my favourite beach drink, a Coco-Loco

Coco Loco & Remember Newvember by Jennifer Bogart
I really didn't think I liked coconut - just goes to show you really don't know until you try!
Day 7 - It's not a Blue Lagoon, but I don't can't remember what it was called.
Pretty blue drink by Jennifer Bogart
I do remember it didn't taste quite as good as the coco-loco.
There was much more to our vacation than alcohol. I also went snorkeling for the first time, climbed up a 100 foot lighthouse and drank coconut water straight from the coconut. We walked the beautiful beaches, bought a tremendous amount of handmade jewelry, slept, ate, and slept some more. In all, it was a fantastic vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment